lmi

Re: [lmi] PDF opening errors (was: Manual test of automated GUI test)

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PDF opening errors (was: Manual test of automated GUI test)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:19:20 +0200

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:14:00 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > GC> 22:45:28:     paste_census: ok (1017ms)
GC> > GC> 22:45:36:     pdf_census: ok (8717ms)
GC> > GC> In file ../src/msw/mimetype.cpp at line 272: 'AssocQueryString'
failed with error 0x80070002 (the system cannot find the file specified.).

GC> >  This probably indicates that you don't have a PDF viewer (i.e. a program
GC> > registered for opening files with .pdf extension) installed?
GC>
GC> But I do have such a thing installed--I won't advertise proprietary
GC> software on a gnu.org mailing list, but it's the first one that
GC> would come to mind in the msw world.

 Speaking about GNU, I wholeheartedly recommend SumatraPDF which is a
GPL PDF (and not only) viewer for Windows, see

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

for more details. It is very simple to install (you can even about
installing it entirely), very fast to open (without using tricks such as
"preloading") and just generally very streamlined and convenient to use.

GC> And it works with lmi--e.g.,
GC> if I start lmi and do
GC>   File | New | Illustration | OK
GC>   File | Print preview
GC> then "***** Reader" opens and displays 'unnamed1.pdf' correctly.
GC>
GC> 'emit_ledger.cpp' does it this way:
GC>         file_command()(pdf_out_file, "open");
GC>
GC> I randomly guessed that the test might be using a different "verb",
GC> but it doesn't do any mime stuff directly--it just simulates the
GC> menu action that I use successfully with the production system:
GC>
GC>     // Launch the PDF creation as side effect of previewing it.
GC>     wxUIActionSimulator ui;
GC>     ui.Char('v', wxMOD_CONTROL);    // "File|Print preview"
GC>
GC> so I'm utterly puzzled by this.

 Actually this is not so very mysterious, just a (harmless) bug in
wxWidgets which gave this spurious debug error under Windows XP only (which
is why I hadn't noticed it). I've just fixed it here:

        http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/78048

so if you use an updated wx version, you shouldn't see it any more but,
again, the error is harmless and is just due to an unexpected error code
being returned under XP.

 Sorry for failing to realize the real reason for this message sooner,
VZ