lmi

Re: [lmi] PDF opening errors

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] PDF opening errors
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 19:00:15 +0000

On 2014-10-19 14:19Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:14:00 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
>  Speaking about GNU, I wholeheartedly recommend SumatraPDF which is a
> GPL PDF (and not only) viewer for Windows, see
>
> http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

Thanks for the tip.

> GC> And it works with lmi--e.g.,
> GC> if I start lmi and do
> GC>   File | New | Illustration | OK
> GC>   File | Print preview
> GC> then "***** Reader" opens and displays 'unnamed1.pdf' correctly.
> GC>
> GC> 'emit_ledger.cpp' does it this way:
> GC>         file_command()(pdf_out_file, "open");
> GC>
> GC> I randomly guessed that the test might be using a different "verb",
> GC> but it doesn't do any mime stuff directly--it just simulates the
> GC> menu action that I use successfully with the production system:
> GC>
> GC>     // Launch the PDF creation as side effect of previewing it.
> GC>     wxUIActionSimulator ui;
> GC>     ui.Char('v', wxMOD_CONTROL);    // "File|Print preview"
> GC>
> GC> so I'm utterly puzzled by this.
>
>  Actually this is not so very mysterious, just a (harmless) bug in
> wxWidgets which gave this spurious debug error under Windows XP only (which
> is why I hadn't noticed it). I've just fixed it here:
>
>       http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/78048
>
> so if you use an updated wx version, you shouldn't see it any more but,
> again, the error is harmless and is just due to an unexpected error code
> being returned under XP.

Thanks. On another tangent...why was this message:

GC> > GC> In file ../src/msw/mimetype.cpp at line 272: 'AssocQueryString'
failed with error 0x80070002 (the system cannot find the file specified.).

displayed only with 'wx_test.exe' and not with './lmi_wx_shared'?
Both use the same wx library, built the same way. The reason why
I ask is that I'm wondering if there's some way I could (optionally)
enable messages like this in the production system (say, only with
a special command-line argument).