lmi

Re: [lmi] wx_test regression

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] wx_test regression
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:53:49 +0100

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:49:27 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2014-10-29 19:02Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > On 2014-10-29 14:42Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >>  Just a gratuitous plug: you could also use, with about the same amount
of
GC> >> effort, wxBusyInfo which can show more information about what's going on,
GC> >> especially with the latest wx, see
GC> >> http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2014/10/being-busy-without-being-ugly.html
GC> >
GC> > Let me sleep on that
GC>
GC> I copied that code into Skeleton::UpdateViews(), and now I can see
GC> that it's not what we want. In the typical case where there are
GC> only a couple of IllustrationView windows open, a black shadow
GC> flickers over my screen and vanishes before I can read it.

 Yes, wxBusyInfo should definitely be only used in conjunction with the
delay I mentioned earlier, it's worse than useless if it's shown for a very
short time.

 I'll post the patch using the gauge in the status bar soon so that you
could see how it looks yourself but IMHO it's not too bad (although I
tested it only in debug build so far, where things are much slower than
normal).

VZ