lmi

Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 23:36:34 +0200

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 01:34:50 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > GC> - GUI: The existing "Print roster to spreadsheet" command could become
GC> > GC>   "Print roster..." with a submenu, with its toolbar button perhaps
GC> > GC>   becoming a combobox (which I suppose wx can put in a toolbar).
GC> >
GC> >  (it can put a button with a drop down menu, which is the more standard UI
GC> > for this kind of things)
GC>
GC> Good. Then it'll be like this:
GC>   http://virt-tools.org/learning/start-vm-with-virt-manager/force-off.png

 Just a note: this is implemented now, but we need at least the new icon
for the new "Print group premium quotes" menu item for consistency with the
"Print roster to spreadsheet" item in the same submenu and we might also
want to update the icon for the toolbar "Print roster" drop down button to
make it more clear that it can be used both for exporting the roster in a
spreadsheet-friendly format and printing group premium quotes.

 Alternatively, we could actually just use separate items instead of
submenu/drop down in the toolbar because IMHO things don't look that great
with the current UI. There are two reasons for this:

- "Print roster" sub menu stands out as the only item in the "Census" menu
  to not have a bitmap (and it can't have one, MSW doesn't support bitmaps
  for the sub menu items without making them entirely owner drawn and we
  almost certainly don't want to do this).

- The drop down toolbar button doesn't get disabled even if both of the
  items in its submenu are disabled, which is a bit strange (although non
  fatal as pressing it still doesn't do anything). This one could actually
  be a bug in wxMSW and I'll look at whether it really is one if we decide
  to keep this UI.

 To be honest, I could be just subconsciously looking for the excuses to
not create any new icons, so please take the above with a grain of salt.

 Regards,
VZ