lmi

Re: [lmi] Upgrading to gcc-4.9.2

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Upgrading to gcc-4.9.2
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 05:58:00 +0000

On 2015-12-18 01:52, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
>  - updating boost
> I've made changes in:
>   /opt/lmi/third_party/include/boost/mpl
>   /opt/lmi/third_party/include/boost/mpl/aux_
>   /opt/lmi/third_party/include/boost/numeric/ublas
>   /opt/lmi/third_party/include/boost/numeric/ublas/detail
> which I'll commit as a '.patch' file.

Committed 20151218T0554Z, revision 6451.

> You will probably recoil at these
> changes, and you can of course propose an alternative patch,

You won't, given that it consists of their own changeset:
  https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/49257?format=diff&new=49257
augmented by my fixes for some 'ublas' defects that they missed in that
changeset, combined with lmi's prior version of 'boost_1_33_1.patch'.

Our prior version has been well tested. Their changeset certainly ought
to be valid, but I made sure by patching it myself independently to check
their work. The 'ublas' stuff isn't used in lmi production. This change
has no effect on production anyway until someone applies it. There's no
real risk.

> but I'm
> very sure that it's less risky to change one major component at a time,
> and the compiler toolchain comes first. I think updating boost is quite
> risky, and I'm not convinced it's necessary.

By "updating", I mean adopting a new and different release of boost
to replace the decade-old version we're using.

These tasks are in strict dependency order:
 - apply these changes
 - update gcc
 - later, update boost
and the last is certainly not necessary now.