lmi

Re: [lmi] Converting numbers in mortality tables to and from text

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Converting numbers in mortality tables to and from text
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:43:11 +0000

On 2016-03-19 17:43, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  I still have one other related question: do you have any plans to ever
> replace the code in actuarial_table.cpp with the new code? I do see the
> obvious argument for not doing this ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it."),

That is often a strong argument; however...

> but OTOH having two versions of the same code has its own obvious problems
> as well.

that counterargument is stronger. At one level of obviousness, maintaining
two versions doubles the maintenance cost. At a deeper level, it adds an
extra dimension to the potential-error surface--increasing opportunities
for error combinatorially, while also decreasing the likelihood of locating
all the defects.

Therefore, 'actuarial_table.?pp' should be replaced in its entirety after
thorough testing.