lmi

Re: [lmi] Making "dash -x" more atomic

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Making "dash -x" more atomic
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 17:23:18 +0200

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:19:56 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2019-04-29 14:53, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
GC> > However there are 2 problems: the first one is that the patch hasn't been
GC> > applied yet because of some (IMO misplaced) concerns about the
inefficiency
GC> > of having another buffer
GC>
GC> I appreciate that they want dash to run scripts as quickly as possible
GC> because that makes automated software builds faster. For that purpose,
GC> though, '-x' wouldn't be used. AFAICS, this patch doesn't make dash's
GC> "production" mode (without '-x') slower. It just makes this "debug"
GC> mode more useful.

 Yes, this is exactly what I pointed out in my reply.

GC> If we want reproducibility, we might use a different shell in
GC> POSIX mode. That'd be easier than rebuilding dash ourselves.

 I beg to differ. Rebuilding a Debian package with an extra patch is quite
simple. Finding a POSIX-compatible shell which always produces the same
output is an unresolved problem, as of right now, because the only shell
I could find which does this is zsh, which is great but is never going to
be mistaken for being POSIX-compatible.

GC> But I don't think the effort would justify the benefits.

 This could still be true, of course.
VZ