lmi

Re: [lmi] Bad md5sum.exe link

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Bad md5sum.exe link
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 01:02:34 +0200

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 22:39:00 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> For the long term, we should either build it ourselves (perhaps as
GC> part of lmi, since we already have part of it in git), or use a
GC> different technology, because md5sum is so 1990s.

 Yes, but we'd have a similar problem with sha${SOME_BIG_NUMBER}sum too.

GC> In the short term, it's not an obstacle for us, so I'll just flag
GC> it for eventual action.

 Sure. Out of curiosity, are we still using Savannah tracker for things
like this or is there something else?

GC> >  In any case, I think it would also be better to ignore the error from
GC> > md5sum installation and install the other targets from this makefile, as
GC> > md5sum is not absolutely required for building lmi itself (but only for
GC> > "fardel" target, if I trust the comments in the makefile).
GC>
GC> I think it's used also at run time (for end users who don't know
GC> the Black Speech incantation), and we definitely have a unit test
GC> or two that use it (though perhaps in a context where any program
GC> at all would do, and we chose this one only because it seemed handy).

 For the unit tests, Cygwin md5sum.exe would do just as well, but I've
indeed forgotten about system_command("md5sum --check") in
authenticity.cpp. In the medium term it might be better to replace this
with a built-in version, it would mean one dependency less and would also
speed up the program startup a little.

 Regards,
VZ