lmi

Re: [lmi] Bad md5sum.exe link

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Bad md5sum.exe link
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 00:36:07 +0000

On 2019-04-29 23:47, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 23:31:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> If we can wrap our existing MD5 or CRC32 code and build a standalone
> GC> msw binary, that'd be plenty good enough.
>
>  This really shouldn't be difficult to do. And, FWIW, I can volunteer to do
> it.

Your offer is gratefully accepted. If you're inclined to use MD5,
here are some thoughts:

Examining lmi's 'md5.?pp', I see that only two high-level functions:
  md5_stream()
  md5_buffer()
are called elsewhere, in these files:
  authenticity.cpp
  authenticity.hpp
  authenticity_test.cpp
  generate_passkey.cpp
so a library that provides those two function would be sufficient.
It would be good to remove 'md5.?pp' from the repository, or at least
move them to tools/, because they'll never really be concinnous with
lmi code anyway.

I got them from here:
  http://www.nondot.org/gcc/md5_8h-source.html
which is a dead link, but presumably they're still available from
some canonical GNU server. Maybe the originals were part of a complete
source package for a standalone md5sum binary, which we could just
adopt, building it either as part of lmi from sources in a new tools/
subdirectory, or as a third-party library and binary.

> GC> >  Sure. Out of curiosity, are we still using Savannah tracker for things
> GC> > like this or is there something else?
> GC>
> GC> That thing's too heavy and balky, so I use '~/notes' for this purpose.
> GC> It would probably be better to add a flat-text file somewhere in the
> GC> public repository for this purpose. Of course, you can maintain your
> GC> own in the vz/ subdirectory if you like.
>
>  I already have my own TODO locally, but I think it'd be nice to have
> something more centralized. A simple flat-text file is not too bad,
> although I'd prefer Markdown, if only because it can be nicely highlighted
> in Vim. So what about having a TODO.md?

You like markdown. I don't.
You have vz/ . I have gwc/ .

Call it the
"Char??gogg??a??gogg??man??chaugg??a??gogg??chau??bun??a??gung??a??maugg"
principle.
If you don't happen to speak Nipmuc, that means (roughly) .md5 on
your side, .txt on my side, everything else in the root.

>  FWIW there are also different ways to leverage Git for storing TODO notes
> outside of the files, but I don't think you'd be interested in anything
> more complex than a plain file, would you?

I doubt it.