lout-users

Numbered displays

From: David Middleton
Subject: Numbered displays
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:29:37 +0100

Dear Lout Users

I am currently using lout v3.01 and the report document style.  I'm
using CenteredNumberedDisplays to insert my equations in the text but,
although I've got several sections, I'd like the equations numbered
in a continuous sequence through the document.  My "trick" for doing
this was to insert a dummy eqn at the end of the preceeding section:

@RawNumberedDisplay
 @Tag { model.dummy }
{}

(this produces no output in the ps file) and use its tag when
starting the next section:

@BeginNumberedDisplays
 start { @NumberOf {model.dummy} }

This worked fine the first time I did it, but doing the same thing in
subsequent sections causes problems - the label numbers produced in the
later section do not follow on as expected.  I can force it to work by using
a Centered display (and deleting the .ld and .li files) instead of a raw one,
but this produces an empty numbered space in the output file which is a bit
inconvenient.  If I change it back to a Raw display (without deleting the
index files) the number is correct the first time I run lout, but
wrong on subsequent occasions.

Sorry this is a long winded question, but can anyone explain what is
going on here?  Is there a better way of producing a continuosly numbered
equation sequence?

Thanks in advance

David Middleton
address@hidden