lout-users

better messages for reference files

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: better messages for reference files
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:51:20 +0100

I have another wish for next lout release (I'm using Lout-3.09 in
French, hyphenation is ok to me!): better messages for
bilibographical reference database *.ld files. I noticed that in these
files

1) missing EOL at EOF

2) some comment lines starting with #

3) missing fields in a bibliographical entry (in particular @Tag or
@Type)

4) starting an entry with '@Reference {' instead of '{  @Reference' lines

give error messages which are not enough informative to the
non-expert user. (I even got an internal error sometimes, but [sorry
Jeff] didn't save the input files producing it, since I was in a
hurry).

I also wish that Lout did take into account an LOUTLIB environment
variable overridding the wired in builtin default of
/usr/local/lib/lout/ directory. (I posted such a patch earlier).

Otherwise, I started using the @Diag package for @Tree-s and found it
great. But I have a few minor problems in an incomplete draft of an
internal report (I want references & indexes) :

The sole figure I have appears after the bibliographical references

The index (currently tiny - about a dozen entries) has the word Index
followed by a big white space (2 thirds of the column) followed by the
entries pushed to the page bottom.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 01,69.08.85.68; phone: 01,69.08.40.66; home: 01,46.65.45.53
email: address@hidden (or else address@hidden);
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.