lout-users

lout microwish and advice

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: lout microwish and advice
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:55:59 +0100

I have a wish and a concrete problem with Lout

* The wish

Make lout compatible with C (or m4) preprocessor

a) parse cpp #line comment

b) parse cpp output # 50 "file/path.lt"

(both wish are the same, parse some specific comments as containing
line synchronization data)

c) have a lout flag to invoke cpp as a preprocessor with some
arguments

d) accept an alternative for # in Lout strings. E.g. code in lout
"sharp sign=\S" instead of "sharp sign=\#"  - there should be a syntax
for strings such as # is always a comment and " always a string
delimiter!

* my concrete problem:

I'm in a hurry writing a report -qgibian.lt. (I'm actually alreadly
late). Unfortunately, my finger slips sometimes -partly because on
french keyboards the {} requires pressing the AltGr key- so sometimes
I have mismatched {}

When a there is a missing ] in practice bad things happens
for instance, my whole document used to be 30 printed pages long, and
although the lout file didn't change a lot, it is nearly empty now!
I probably forgot a closing } or an @End somewere.

Does anyone have an advice on how hunting these things.

I also noticed that sometimes the associated qgibian.ld file gets very
big, and Lout processing time goes from O(n) to O(n^2)
suddenly. (typically from 10 to 100 seconds on my PentiumPro200)

I also noticed that having macros or definition which expends to
something containing index entries does work well always.

So any concrete advice on matching all brackets { } and @Begin @End?
(eg a structure-aware emacs lout mode  somewhere?)

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 01,69.08.85.68; phone: 01,69.08.40.66; home: 01,46.65.45.53
email: Basile . Starynkevitch @ cea . fr  (but remove white space)
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.