lout-users

lout microwish and advice

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: lout microwish and advice
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 17:22 GMT

Basile Starynkevitch:
> I have a wish and a concrete problem with Lout
>
> * The wish
>
> Make lout compatible with C (or m4) preprocessor
>
> a) parse cpp #line comment
>
> b) parse cpp output # 50 "file/path.lt"

Please _don't_ try to use cpp as a general purpose macro processor.
It doesn't work properly; cpp is too bound up with the C language to
use it in this way.  The X people tried this with Imake and it's been
nothing but trouble.

Instead, try using m4.

If you use m4 there is no need for any changes to Lout; you can just
pipe the output of m4 into lout.

Ian.