lout-users

Re: revisions to @Tab package

From: P.J. Kersten
Subject: Re: revisions to @Tab package
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:21:41 +0200

Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 12:27:24PM +0200, P.J. Kersten wrote:
>
> > Jeff Kingston wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > * Horizontal and vertical spanning in arbitrary places in the
> > >   table, specified by @Fmt options and probably also on the fly;
> >
> > Does this mean we can forget about transitions with this new feature?
>
> Sorry, I probably misunderstand you, what do you mean by transitions here?

When you want to change spanning in the current implementation of @Tab,
you have to define not only the spanning row as a format, you have also
to consider the format immediatly preceding that row, because it has to
use the @Over construct, which effectively ties the two together.
Given
        1:   A   B    C
        2:   A   spanning
the formats for row 1 differs when followed by a row 2 compared with
when a row 1 is followed by a row 1. Imagine the work to be done if you
want to use a row 2 in a range of different formats...
That's what I ment with 'transitions'.

If Jeff manages to eliminate this dependency, it will make @Tab much
more usefull.

HTH,
--
Pieter J. Kersten; Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam, dept. DI&A/S&N,
WH2-10,