lout-users

More index problems

From: Stephan Pabst
Subject: More index problems
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:15:56 +0100 (MEZ)

Hello,

although Uwe's hint - to increase MAX_LEX_STACK in "externs.h" - helped
me a lot, creating an index for a book with Lout 3.12 still seems to be
quite tricky.
I have attached a sample document to this mail for which Lout creates the
following index:

   Kurs
      in GLAEUBIGERTERMINE, 1, in
         GLAEUBIGERTERMINE, 1
      im Kursdatensegment, 1
       in TILGUNGSTERMINE, 1

This demonstrates two problems:

1) Although the subindex entries "in GLAEUBIGERTERMINE" are identical,
   Lout is not able to merge them.
   We already discussed the problem of index entries like "Foo, 1, 2, 2, 3"
   (which, by the way, is still unsolved - Uwe's HACK_MERGE caused a
   "lout: fatal error: exiting now (run out of memory)" on an HP 9000/720
   workstation with 64 MBytes of memory and 256 MBytes of swap space).
   In contrast, Lout now is unable to merge identical text fields.  Using
   @OneCol in each index entry is a possible workaround to this problem,
   but this bloats the document.

2) The index entry "in TILGUNGSTERMINE" is slightly indented. Running Lout
   with option -dgt produces the following message for this index entry:

gt: [ TransferComponent( @Null //@ParaGap "Nur" ++7++ @Fig { @Box { @Tab
@Fmta { @Col A } { {} /{} @DoRowa   A { "KURS" ++3++ "kurs" ++3++
"tilgungstermine" @Index   indent { "1""f" } { @OneCol {} in"TILGUNGSTERMINE" }
} } } } )

   Although the exact meaning of this message is far beyond my scope, the
   substring "indent { "1""f" }" looks quite suspicious.
   Up to now, my only workaround to this problem is editing the postscript
   file directly (by subtracting the appropriate constant from all horizontal
   positions of the indented index entries) before printing it.  Of course,
   this is a real *work*-around.

Thanks in advance.

Stephan

@SysInclude { fig }