lout-users

NetBSD pkg, PDF links, and break styles

From: Ty Sarna
Subject: NetBSD pkg, PDF links, and break styles
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:06:08 -0600 (CST)

Hi there. I've just started using lout, and I have one bit of news and
two questions:

1) I created a NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) package of Lout 3.12, so
hopefully lout will gain wider use within the NetBSD community.

2) For my application, I took the WebLink code from the mailing list
archives and modified it a bit, to make it more of a primitive (It now
doesn't add any spacing, color changes, or underlining.  IMHO, that
should be done as a higher level definition if you want it), and it
works properly (for some value of properly) on other backends:

def @URILink left label right url
{
    @BackEnd @Case {
        PostScript @Yield {
            {
                "["
                "/Rect    [ 0 0 xsize ysize ]"
                "/Action  << /Subtype /URI /URI ("url") >>"
                "/Subtype /Link"
                "/ANN pdfmark"
            } @Graphic { label }
        }
        else @Yield { label }
    }
}

This works great for generating PS and the distilling to PDF.  Of
course, it does nothing when generating PDF directly.  Question is, can
someone who is more knowledgeable of PDF fill in the PDF backend case,
please? And could this be added to the next release? Thanks.

3) Finally, I wish there was a break style like "lines", but that would
wrap if the line was too long. That is, preserve my line breaks but add
new ones if needed, rather than scaling the line (which looks bad).

Thanks.