lout-users

Space between words

From: Dominikus Herzberg
Subject: Space between words
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 10:11:21 +0100

Hi Lout-ers,

while using Lout for quite some time, I observed several times that
the interword spacing is below a critical limit and typographically
not acceptable. Take for example the code below and have a look at
the second line of the postscript output: It looks like that I for-
got to type a space in the source code between 'Zeitabhangigkeiten,'
and 'Zustandswechsel' [I used Lout 3.12].

@SysInclude { doc }
@Document
  @InitialLanguage { German }
//
@Text @Begin
Beziehungen der Objekte und Klassen zu- und untereinander werden durch
das @I{statische Modell} beschrieben. Alle dynamischen Aspekte, wie
Zeitabhangigkeiten, Zustandswechsel, Botschaftenaustausch usw. decken
die Konzepte des @I{dynamischen Modells} ab. Alle Konzepte werden in
den nachfolgenden Unterkapiteln erklart. Allerdings mussen die
Erlauterungen knapp ausfallen und einige Besonderheiten aussparen, um
den Rahmen dieser Arbeit nicht zu sprengen.
@End @Text

(Note: To avoid problems in mail transfer I substituted all german
       specific characters.)

Lout uses TeX's paragraph breaking algorithm, and TeX sets a lower
limit for the glue (the space between 'objects') to shrink. How about
Lout? How does Lout set the limits for interword spaces? Or can Lout
print a warning message if it has to shrink the space too much for some
reason?

Best regards
&
Gruss