lout-users

Re: Space between words

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Space between words
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 09:50:34 +1000

Uwe wrote:

> Does it make sense to export these knobs as named paramteres to
> @Break?  Different countries seems to have slightly different
> typographic traditions, including variations of what is considered
> good/acceptable spacing.  E.g. some constraints for russian...

Well, Uwe's list looks to me like it would translate pretty well to
any European language; so I don't think it makes a good case for
exposing these parameters so that users can waste their lives
twiddling them, as in TeX.  Much better if any problems with the
current settings are looked at and fixed once and for all, IMO;
on which point thanks to pabst for sending along an example of a
bad result that I can play with.

Jeff