lout-users

Re: letters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: letters
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:56:44 +0400

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 05:10:42PM +0200, Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:

> This looks fine if everything can sit where you like, but not when
> working with windows in envelopes or things already printed on the
> header, which the letter needs to be aligned with.  I think I will
> need some way of defining in cm where things can go and having that
> area reserved so that the general formating of the text will not use
> the same area.  Or am I missing something about the example?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

For windows, as you correctly noted, you have to specify where things
can go, which is exactly what galleys are for.

For preprinted headers you can define empty placeholders that don't
print anything but have the correct size and marks.  In Lout you
specify the placeholder, which won't leave any marks on paper (as the
ink is already there) but will provide a stub that will let Lout know
that some space is (already) occupied and anchor points for other text
to align with.

HTH

SY, Uwe