lout-users

Newbie Q: Layout of table (or should I use Diag?)

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Newbie Q: Layout of table (or should I use Diag?)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:11:57 +0100 (British Summer Time)

I'm new to Lout so please help (or ignore) rather than flame if I'm being
stupid!

I'm trying to produce a book that is a catalogue of software prices for
education. I've exported the data I need and have written a perl script to
parse the data and output lout - one little table for each record.

I have two problems:

1. Lout only extends the width as far as it needs - and I can't seem to
   override. Neither @HExpand, nor @HAdjust work - they just give assertion
   errors f < 0.1 ?

2. When I try to put some spacing between tables, e.g. @LLP, I get
   assertion errors.

Am I taking the wrong approach - should I be using Diag to draw what I want?

One of the pluses of Lout is that if a line is too long it automatically
scales down the font to make it fit - exactly what I want.

I'm using Lout 3.10 on Debian Linux.

Here's what I'm after:

PRODUCT_NAME___________________________ SUPPLIER_NAME_________________
DESC__________________________________________________________________
TEL___________________ EMAIL_________________ WEB_____________________
RRP___________________ ED.RRP________________ ED.SITE LIC_____________

I want the whole lot in a @CurveBox and the first line in a @CurveBox paint
{ lightgrey }

I forgot to bring a copy of the lout my perl script produces - I'll send
that tomorrow unless someone tells me the lout I should use before then!

>From memory (so it may not be syntactically correct) it looks like this:

@CurveBox { ragged 0.9vx } @Break @Tab
        @Fmta { @Col X @Over A,B,C }
        @Fmtb { @Col A ! @Col B ! @Col C }
{
        @Rowa X @CurveBox paint { lightgrey }
              { @B { Product1 } @Right { Supplier1 } }
        @Rowa X { Description1 }
        @Rowa A { @B { Tel }{~Phone1} }
              B { @B { Email }{~Email1} }
              C { @B { Web }{~Web1} }
        @Rowa A { @B { RRP }{~RRP1} }
              B { @B { Ed. RRP }{~EdRRP1} }
              C { @B { Ed. Site Licence }{~EdSiteLic1} }
}

Note that my perl script converts any lout in the data like @ to "@" or
" to address@hidden quotedbl} and so forth, so I don't believe I'm getting
spurious
lout commands - and without the @HExpand and @HAdjust I get no errors and
get perfectly good postscript - but not to the full width of course.

Note that I've tried putting in @HExpand and @HAdjust with no luck!

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards.

PS If anyone wants a quick & dirty perl2lout converter that will set your
Perl rather nicely, drop me a line and I'll send it to you. Its written in
perl 5.004.
address@hidden  Tel: +44 (0)1225 826043
CHEST Software Team Manager   Fax: +44 (0)1225 826177
http://www.chest.ac.uk        Mobile:     0403 535803