lout-users

Re: Some spacing problems with @Eq

From: James Ramsey
Subject: Re: Some spacing problems with @Eq
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know.  You have
>
>     @R Pa)(76.14
>
> Despite the parentheses, this is the same as
>
>     @R { Pa)(76.14 }
>
> This causes Lout to reset the preferred width of a
> space
> between two words back to whatever the @R font
> prefers.
> But Lout uses "separate" spacing within equations,
> which
> means that it puts one space between each token; and
> tokens
> are sequences of letters or *individual* digits.
>
> It's a real gotcha.  Actually, on the rare occasions
> use @R in equations, I usually enclose the following
> thing in quotes anyway since eq has so many symbols
> and
> it is easy to bump into one of them.

So basically I need to put to

1) put spaces between the parentheses and the things
they envelop so that Lout interprets them as separate
objects, and

2) surround whatever @R is supposed to make roman with
quotes.

This worked for my document.

> If you have a lot of this can I suggest putting the
> following
> in your mydefs file:
>
>    import @BasicSetup
>    def MM { @R "mm" }
>
> and so on.  Then you can type
>
>    @Eq{ ^= {(3.00 times 10 sup 6 PA )(76.14 MM) }
>
> and so on without these problems.
>
> Jeff

Would the following also do the job?

import @BasicSetup
def @Units right x address@hidden x}

That would probably be better if it actually would
work, since it would spare me the trouble of trying to
account for every unit I used in my report.

Well, thanks for the workaround.

P.S. That gotcha with @R should probably be
documented. While you may not use @R in equations
much, others may very well need to use it more often.

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----