lout-users

Re: A meter/measure-paper

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: A meter/measure-paper
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:50:08 +0400

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 00:34:39 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> > Mmm, I have some vague idea about this music thing :), I'm just not
> > sure how this is intended to be visualized - I'm extremely bad at
> > visual comprehension in general (e.g., my copy of The MetaFont Book
> > was printed from the TeX source and lacks any pictures, not that it
> > bothers me :).  And you've chosen a "symmetric" example (4 of 4/4), so
> > I was unable to guess ;).
>
> I don't know your kind of humor, but I think, you are Mr. Funny. ;-)

While that paragraph carries a touch of humor, I'm mostly serious
about that - I'm just not a "visual" type of person.

> And it sounds really ironic.... MetaFont-Book without any
> Pictures?

Absolutely.

> Ok, man, characters/letters are a kind of a picture too, so you are
> writing texts without letters?

Letter are mostly immaterial.  Humans don't read letters, they
visually parse chunks of text - words, phrases and with special
training even lines at a time.

> ...if it was not all a joke, what you wrote above, and if you may
> want to know, how daces can be visualized, then the keywords for
> that are:

Oh my!  I took a look.  Now I know where Hollywood artists borrows the
graphics for inscriptions on alien spacecrafts. ;)

SY, Uwe