lout-users

Excessive memory usage

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Excessive memory usage
Date: 10 Apr 2002 14:56:01 +0200

I try to use Lout for print-formatting database tables in some
application.  I'm faced with a problem of an excessive memory usage of
Lout, unacceptable at a common workstation (> 100 MB).  I can understand
Lout takes a lot (even extremely much, as I've experienced) of memory
when formatting a huge table.  The basic problem is that when I split
the big table into several smaller ones, Lout's memory consumption is
reduced, but still about directly proportional to the size of the
*whole* data.

I'd like to know whether there is a way to make the memory usage less
dependent on the size of the data.

An example document can look as follows:

    @SysInclude { tbl }
    @SysInclude { doc }

    @Document
      @InitialFont { Courier Base 12p }
      @OptimizePages { No }
    //
    @Text @Begin

    @LLP @Tbl
      aformat { @Cell width { 7s } A | @Cell width { 20s } B | @Cell width { 6s
} C | @Cell width { 4s } D | @Cell width { 8s } E | @Cell width { 9s } F |
@Cell width { 9s } G }
    {
      @Rowa A { xxxxx } B { xxxxxxxxxx } C { xxxx } D { xx } E { xxxxxx } F {
xxxxxxx } G { xxxxxxx }
      < repeat the previous line about 200 times >
    }
    < repeat the previous table paragraph several times >
    @End @Text

Can I do something about it?  I use Debian GNU/Linux if it matters.

Thanks for any advice.

Milan Zamazal

--
Wasting somebody else's time strikes me as the height of rudeness.
                                                      Bill Gates