lout-users

RE: lout->ps->gs2pdf->pdf font problem

From: ahoward
Subject: RE: lout->ps->gs2pdf->pdf font problem
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:15:52 -0400

And now I've solved my own problem...thanks for witnessing my growth.

I wrote:

> So, now some questions: is it possible that the conversion of
> the TTF to Adobe Type 1 font is bad?

It's possible, but I don't think that's the problem.  Lout likes the
Type 1 fonts just fine.  So does Ghostscript.  For some reason, Acrobat
(or windows) isn't happy with the Type 1 version since it has a TTF
version of it.  Ghostscript can render the font just fine with the Type
1 font.  But since Acrobat is what really matters, I better have
Ghostscript use the TTF font so Windows/Acrobat will be happy.

>  Since ghostscript supports TrueType fonts, should I just put the
> TTF files in place, and kill the .pfa & .afm files?

Yes.  Yes indeed.

> If I do, where do I put the TTF files?

/usr/local/shared/ghostscript/fonts/
(in my case)

>Do I put an entry in Fontmap.GS?

Yes.  To wit:

/TrebuchetMS            (trebuc.TTF) ;
/TrebuchetMS-Bold               (trebucbd.TTF) ;
/TrebuchetMS-Italic     (trebucit.TTF) ;
/Trebuchet-BoldItalic   (trebucbi.TTF) ;

> I know this isn't all particular to lout, but I appreciate anyone's
> help...

I'm welcome.

Thanks anyway everybody.  It turns out that by telling Ghostscript to
use the TTF fonts, all is well.

Wierd, though.  I would like to know if it's the way Windows' printing
subsystem works that causes the problem or if it's something with
Acrobat.

Later...
-Aaron