lout-users

"too many open files" error for an unknown reason

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: "too many open files" error for an unknown reason
Date: 20 Dec 2002 17:36:02 +0100

When I process the document attached below with Lout (3.25 or 3.27), I
receive the following error on the second and subsequent Lout runs:

  $ lout foo.lout > foo.ps
  lout:
          : too many open files when opening database file foo.lout.ld; open
files are:
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :    file "foo.lout.ld"
          :
          : fatal error: exiting now

Clearly, it has something to do with the @numberOfPages function, when I
don't use it or when the number of pages is very low, the error doesn't
appear.  However, I've got no idea what's wrong with it.

Could someone give me a clue, please?

Thanks for any help,

Milan Zamazal