lout-users

[no subject]

From: jeff
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:04:38 +0400 (MSD)

>From address@hidden Fri Aug 15 01:47:29 2003
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:47:21 -0400
Subject: glitch in compiling Lout 3.29
From: Colin Klipsch <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Dr. Kingston --

Thanks for releasing Lout 3.29, and continuing to develop this fine
piece of software.

I've had trouble compiling the Lout 3.29 executable when debugging is
turned off.  (Debugging is enabled by default in the Makefile's initial
configuration, and this version builds successfully.  Perhaps you
forgot to set back the variables, and test, before releasing?)  When
debugging is _disabled_ however, the source files compile fine, but the
build fails at link time like so:

   ld: Undefined symbols:
   _DebugObject
   make: *** [lout] Error 1

So I went hunting for invocations on DebugObject -- a function which
obviously wasn't compiled in the non-debug version, and judging by its
name, isn't supposed to be available.  Almost all the invocations are
conditioned by 'ifdebug' or 'ifdebugcond' tests, and I decided not to
worry about these.  However, there are two calls that are not so
conditioned: file z09.c, line 101, and file z20.c, line 657.  After
commenting out these two particular calls, the Lout executable builds
just fine.  Even better, it seems to run correctly on my documents --
which is the main thing.

Incidentally, my computer platform is MacOS-X 10.2.6 (a BSD Unix), with
the GCC 3.3 compiler.

Another incidental fact: the Lout 3.29 User Guide is now parsable by
Ghostscript's 'ps2pdf' converter.  The previous release was not, for
whatever reason.  If you'd like a PDF version of the User Guide, I can
send it to you.

Hope to hear back from you, if time permits.

-- Colin K.