lout-users

Re: Superscripts, subscripts and equations

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: Superscripts, subscripts and equations
Date: 02 Nov 2004 23:07:00 +0100

> Hi, Superscripts and subscripts in Lout documents are not always laid
> out gracefully.  In particular, using a superscript on a line within a
> paragraph yields to the line's distance to the previous line being
> larger than the regular paragraph inter-line space.

I noticed some other unexpected results with formulae when using Lout
for university stuff last semester.  I actually wanted to write about
this before the release of the new Lout version, but didn't find the
time...:

  import @Eq def wx { @B w sub x }
  import @Eq def Sx { @B S sub x }
  import @Eq def wxT { { wx } sup T }
  import @Eq def SxT { Sx sup T }

The `T' (transpose) in `wxT' is printed at a lower position than the `T'
in `SxT', which looks somewhat strange, especially, when both
expressions occur in a formula side-by-side .

Another problem occured with greek letters, probably due to the fact
that they were not printed italic.  The tilde in address@hidden eta tilde }'
seems to be shifted too much to the right, whereas the tilde in
address@hidden a tilde }' looks correct.  The actual code was:

  import @Eq def bi { b sub i }
  import @Eq def biti { bi tilde }
  import @Eq def etai { eta sub i }
  import @Eq def etaiti { etai tilde }

But maybe greek letters should just not be used in this way...

regards,

David