lout-users

Alternative footnote markers

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Alternative footnote markers
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:19:02 +0200

I'm currently reading Jan Tschichold's "Die Neue Typographie"
(from 1928, available as "The New Typography" in English), where
raised bullets are used as footnote markers.  An Amazon.com reviewer
writes:

  Tschichold uses a few conventions that I quite like.  Footnotes are
  indicated inline and at the end of the page by a heavy black mark.
  At first, it looked like a blot on the gray of the body type.  After
  seeing it a few times, though, I realized that the heavy mark was
  very helpful for recovering my place in the reading after my eyes
  moved away to read the footnote.

If you're curious about what it looks like, I've put scans of two
pages at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/type/jt.pdf>.

Anyway, on a whim I thought I'd add this style to Lout; attached are
the necessary patches to bsf, dsf and standard.ld.  After applying
them, you can get this style by specifiying

  @FootNoteNumbers { Bullets }

in the setup file.  Obviously it's only useful for up too three notes
per page, four is the maximum.

While I was at it, I've also added the traditional footnote marks;
specifiying

  @FootNoteNumbers { Symbols }

results in the sequence

  @Star
  @Dagger
  @DaggerDbl
  @SectSym
  @ParSym
  "||"
  @Star @Star
  @Dagger @Dagger
  @DaggerDbl @DaggerDbl

which is the same as in LaTeX.  Again, it only makes sense if you
don't have more than three footnotes per page.

While editing standard.ld I've also added two missing German
translations for lecture (Vorlesung) and for colophon (Kolophon).

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>