lout-users

Re: "precise object placement" User's Guide section

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "precise object placement" User's Guide section
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:51:46 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Jeff Kingston) writes:

> As part of the forthcoming new version of Lout I have written
> a new section of the User's Guide called "Precise Object
> Placement."  It covers @Wide, @High, @HExpand, @VShift and
> similar symbols, including three that I have added called
> @ZeroWidth, @ZeroHeight, and @VStrut.

I think it's really a good idea to have this section.

Regarding address@hidden', it might be worth mentioning that a similar result
can be obtained using the `/' primitive placement operator, as shown in
section 1.2 of the Expert's Guide, while obviously not going into the
details.  Just to give an idea of the underlying mechanisms.

Actually, I'm wondering:  why does address@hidden' exist as a built-in
operator since, at first sight, it seems that one can implement it in
terms of other primitives?

Thanks,
Ludovic.