lout-users

Re: "precise object placement" User's Guide section

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: "precise object placement" User's Guide section
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:50:59 +0200

address@hidden (Jeff Kingston) writes:

> As part of the forthcoming new version of Lout I have written
> a new section of the User's Guide called "Precise Object
> Placement."  It covers @Wide, @High, @HExpand, @VShift and
> similar symbols, including three that I have added called
> @ZeroWidth, @ZeroHeight, and @VStrut.

I agree with Ludovic, this is a really good idea, and I think it will
help people getting the desired effects without (or at least with
less) trial and error.

> I'm also interested in examples of the same sort of thing which
> might be FAQs, to add to this section.

They're probably not FAQs, but the document style used in, e.g.,

  http://wwwai.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/Members/mxp/report-2.pdf

contains some "precise object placement tasks," namely the section and
page numbers.  The "vertical brackets" around the code examples [1]
may qualify as well, since @High and @HExpand are used there, in
combination with @Graphic.

The code is really hackish, I fear, but if there's any interest, I
guess I could post something.

Greetings

Footnotes:
[1]  I think they were inspired by: Stephen Pendergrast.  Desktop
     KornShell Graphical Programming.  Addison-Wesley, 1999.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>