lout-users

pdf - and on Windows?

From: James Mansion
Subject: pdf - and on Windows?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:47:13 +0000

Hi,

I'm considering lout having dabbled with raw TeX, LyX and some of the markup
systems like T2T.

I'm impressed by the book on PyQT that I understand is written with lout.

Normally, I use my portable which runs XP and then port to Linux or OpenSolaris
under VMWare or on my servers once I'm home, so decent Windows support is
important to me. I'm interested in getting to a self-publish result which will need
a PDF.  I don't currently have Distiller or Acrobat.

Is lout's postscript focus going to be a hindrance for day to day use? I'd rather not cough for the full Adobe product until I know I'll actually make it as far as publishing something, rather than fantasizing about doing so, but if I'm going to give it much of a try I'll want something that produces good looking pdfs. I've not been.very impressed by ghostscript as a back end to TeX - I'm hoping to use something that embeds fonts as needed.

Can anyone recommend what I should install to give lout a fair showing?

I don't mind something that watermarks pages in a demo version so long as the
previews in Acrobat Reader on screen look good.

Thanks in advance
James