lout-users

Re: pdf - and on Windows?

From: James Mansion
Subject: Re: pdf - and on Windows?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:11:39 +0000

KHMan wrote:
Speaking as a off-and-on user of Lout... Can you be more specific about "not been.very impressed by ghostscript"? It used to be that the TeX DVI -> PS -> PDF toolchain produces Type 3 fonts which are rendered bitmaps from the Metafont stroked originals. That looked horrible and rendered slowly.
Quite.
With pdfTeX, as with Lout, everybody is using stroked fonts
pdfTeX I've found fine, but that doesn't use ghostscript does it?
I am under the impression that Ghostscript works well these days.
That's encouraging.
Not sure what you mean, but often we point people to the User's Guide as an example of what Lout can produce. You can get them here: http://lout.wiki.sourceforge.net/Documentation
I'm aware lout itself is fine, but I need a convenient complete toolchain reall, and I'd rather not have to run on *nix all the time, out of habit as much as anything.
No Free Software forces any watermarks on the user... I guess maybe you are discussing a Distiller demo.
Well, or other pdf generators. I'm not concerned about using Free Software per se, and will spend money once I'm sure the project is workable.

James