lout-users

Re: Newbie: section numbering option

From: Mark T.B. Carroll
Subject: Re: Newbie: section numbering option
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:40:51 -0400

Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> writes:

>> may I suggest to create [a usenet group]?
>
> Let's see what the others think.  I had bad experiences years ago with
> usenet groups filled with rubbishy posts, I had to unsubscribe in the
> end.  Perhaps things have improved.  The mailing list works well.

I find comp.lang.* generally good for the less popular languages, e.g.,
comp.lang.haskell. I doubt a comp.lang.lout or whatever would attract
the religious wars that groups like comp.lang.lisp or comp.lang.misc
can.

Whether or not it's worth it for everyone to migrate there, and worth
living for a little while among the trolls in news.groups (after all,
trying to get a new alt.* group propagated well would be a bit of a
pain, so I assume we're thinking somewhere in comp.*, hence the big-8
process) while arguing for group creation, I don't know. I don't know if
we really have enough traffic for it to be worth it.

> But in any case you don't need it, just write @M { x sup 2 } and so on
> in your paragraph.

Also using @ZeroHeight can be nice if you don't like extra line spacing
that the superscript may cause. For instance, one of my paragraphs
contains, @ZeroHeight @M { -pi over 2 <= i{n}. <= pi over 2 }.

The curly braces are a hack I used to try to avoid `in' being treated
specially as a symbol. I don't know if there is a better way to do that.

Mark