lout-users

Re: Newbie: section numbering option

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: Newbie: section numbering option
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:08:49 +0800

Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> writes:

may I suggest to create [a usenet group]?
Let's see what the others think.  I had bad experiences years ago with
usenet groups filled with rubbishy posts, I had to unsubscribe in the
end.  Perhaps things have improved.  The mailing list works well.

I find comp.lang.* generally good for the less popular languages, e.g.,
comp.lang.haskell. I doubt a comp.lang.lout or whatever would attract
the religious wars that groups like comp.lang.lisp or comp.lang.misc
can.

Whether or not it's worth it for everyone to migrate there, and worth
living for a little while among the trolls in news.groups (after all,
trying to get a new alt.* group propagated well would be a bit of a
pain, so I assume we're thinking somewhere in comp.*, hence the big-8
process) while arguing for group creation, I don't know. I don't know if
we really have enough traffic for it to be worth it.

Yeah, to be frank, I don't think we're big or active enough to warrant a usenet group.

I'm a big believer in personnel redundancy and sustainability for small FLOSS projects, that is, the problem of how to keep it running in the long term in the face of personnel changes or disappearances. For many of us, Lout may not be the primary Free or Open Source project we contribute to, and thus it is lower down on our list of priorities. Would someone still be active on this list in 2014? It's really hard to say. Continuity can sometimes be a very fragile thing.

The current mailing list is fine, a very efficient interface to people used to mailing lists. But I don't think we have enough volunteer manpower to extend ourselves some more into the "support and service" areas without running into sustainability issues.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)