lout-users

A long-standing annoyance: the gap between figures/tables & their captio

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: A long-standing annoyance: the gap between figures/tables & their captions
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:55:26 +0000

Hi,

One long-standing annoyance I have with lout is that the vertical gap
between a table or figure's caption and the table or figure itself is
too large, so you get:

    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx

    caption

    figure

    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

which makes the caption & figure look like separate items. I want to
reduce the gap to get:

    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx

    caption
    figure

    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

so that it appears as a coherrent whole.

There is an easy solution that will allow users to set the gap to suit
themselves:

(1) In @Figure, @Table, and @Floater, replace @DP with @CaptionGap
(2) Define @CaptionGap somewhere, ideally where it can be changed. (I
    use: macro @CaptionGap{//0.4v}.)

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy