Re: [Ltib] Several Questions...

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Several Questions...
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:56:54 +0000

Hi Tom,

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 13:39 -0500, Morrison, Tom wrote:

[snip]

> a) I want BOOST to be a part of the packages for this build – but
> it does NOT
>
> not come up as an option (even though the spec is available in
> dist/lfs-5.1

Any spec files that are not selectable from the config screen are ones
that have not been built/tested yet. Basically they get into the config
system by adding something into config/userspace/packages.lkc and
dist/lfs-5.1/common/pkg_map.

You can attempt to build/debug these untested packages using (for
example):

$ ./ltib -p boost.spec

and if that fails:

$ ./ltib -p boost.spec -m scbuild

and when it finally builds after fixing compile problems:

$ ./ltib -p boost.spec -m scdeploy

I just tried and it failed, so there is some work to do on that one.

> b) How do I update/include a pkg to a newer version than what is
> in LTIB (for example: boost)

You're welcome to update the boost version as it's not in use by anyone
yet. Locally just update the spec file and put the new tarball
into /opt/ltib/pkgs. When you're done you can either send me the
specfile patch and let me know where the source is, or I can give you
CVS write access and a gpp upload account.
There is a section in the FAQ that may help with this:
http://www.bitshrine.org/autodocs/LtibFaq.html#ref_87

If you run into problems, let me know and I'll try to help.

> c) If I have applications to run, where will the libraries and
> include files be located
>
> to compile against (my guess is rootfs/usr/src/)?

The headers and libraries (interfaces) from other packages and the
package you are building go into: rootfs. Normally (depends on the
package), the package will put them into rootfs/lib, rootfs/usr/lib and
rootfs/usr/include.

The build mechanism automatically wires in these include header/library
paths to gcc (when you say 'gcc' in a spec file it calls a wrapper that
makes this isolation and then calls the actual cross compiler).

Regards, Stuart