Re: [Ltib] Changing address in LTIB

From: Peter Barada
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Changing address in LTIB
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:27:43 -0400

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 16:06 +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> Hi Yuri,
>
> I think you'll need some help from kernel experts, maybe in the
> arm-linux mailing list.
>
> Regards, Stuart
>
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 11:45 -0300, Yuri Ribeiro wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using LTIB to generate a linux kernel.
> > But, I had some problem to run my kernel because the address of the
> > built kernel is out of range.
> > More specifically, the kernel was built to run under 0xc0008000 and this
> > address is reserved on my board.
> > I was try to adjust the address in the file mx27.h, but nothing was
> > changed.
> >
> > Any help is welcome.

address 0xc0000000 and up (to the extend of RAM) in the kernel are
*virtual* addresses.  The kernel is setup up such that *virtual* address
0xc0000000 maps (via the MMU and its TLBs) to the first *physical*
address in RAM.

You might want to try loading/running rootfs/boot/zImage instead of
vmlinux. zImage is position-independant, that is it can be loaded
anywhere in RAM and on entry, figures out where it is, relocates
itself(if necessary) and decompresses the kernel into its intended
location and starts it.