Re: [Ltib] Command debug output patch

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Command debug output patch
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:30:41 +0200

Stuart Hughes wrote:
The idea of being able to capture every operation an application performs is appealing in some ways, but it adds complexity. Note there is a --dry-run option that gives you most of the operations to be performed without actually running the commands.

Yes, sort of. But I did discover a lot of commands that were not printed (especially those with qx() or ` `).

As said, the patches were for internal reviewing of the script and figuring how it worked. Since I now have written the patch, I hoped it could be useful to others. Yet I don't expect it to be merged into the main CVS ltib, anyhow. I agree parts of it are too complex and thorough. OTOH the qx_log would be a nice feature to keep, as these external commands otherwise would go unnoticed (some of which is uninteresting, others which are).

The whole reason for this scrutiny is because ltib is relying heavily on sudo, which IMHO makes me very skeptical security wise.

- Svein