Re: [Ltib] Command debug output patch

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Command debug output patch
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:11:53 +0100

Hi Svein,

Regarding the first patch, I don't think most of this is really needed as you can capture the output using:

$ ./ltib 2>&1 | tee logfile

I think some of the 'set -x' additions in the shell-outs would be useful though and I will add them.

The idea of being able to capture every operation an application performs is appealing in some ways, but it adds complexity. Note there is a --dry-run option that gives you most of the operations to be performed without actually running the commands.

Regards, Stuart

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hello

In my attempt to get overview of the ltib build system, I have made a patch that dumps all file system operations when ltib is running. By patching the current CVS HEAD with the attached patch, the feature can be enabled by using the --logcmd command line option.

For me this was particularly important since ltib were requesting sudo root access all the time, yet did not tell properly what was going on (opposite to a Makefile or a shellscript with set -x). My paranoia turns on and I wrote this patch.

There are two patches attached:

  * logcmd.patch
Enable "--logcmd" command logging. It logs every command, open, rename and so on.

  * logfiletest.patch
Logs all file test operations. E.g. code like "if -e" and such will be logged. Genererates a lot of output, but can be great to see what the ltib is test and probing for.

The latter needs to be applied after the logcmd.patch has been applied. But you don't need the latter for the first to work.

The patches are not elegant nor perfect, so you'll have to take it for what it is. The latter is especially considered "dirty" as it limits the way and freedom of the perl language.

I hope it can be useful (to some).

Best regards,
- Svein