Re: [Ltib] Configuring ltib

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Configuring ltib
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:13:27 +0100

Hi Svein,

Which platform is this?

The behaviour you see is accounted for by:
* differences between an ISO release and a CVS copy
* possibly the contents of config/platform/_target_ are different between the Freescale BPS and the Savannah copy (depending on when they were last updated).

Let me explain, assuming you are in your ltib project directory:

---+ .config : Platform selection

Defines which config/platform/_target_ is being used.

When checked out from CVS, this file does not exists and so when you first run ltib, you get the configuration screen to choose which platform you want to build.

For an ISO release (e.g. Freescale BSP) this .config already exists and names the only target platform you can build. Unlike CVS, ISO releases only provide one buildable config/platform/_target_ (ignore host, which is for the host support packages). If you delete .config you would get the configuration screen next time you run ltib (with only one platform).

---+ config/.config : selectype

Some config/platform/_target_ directories contain a file preconfigs.lkc. These are used when you want to support more than one board of a similar type from a single platform selection. For example you might have different variants of the same board. It also allows you to select different package profiles. For example you could have one selection for a minimal uClibc system and one for a fuller glibc LAMP web server type.

If config/.config is missing and preconfigs.lkc exists, you will get this config selection screen when you run LTIB. You can bring this back (change the preconfig) by using the option -m selectype

---+ config/platform/_target_/.config

All platforms will have this once the platform has been chosen and you have gone through the 'selectype' config (if it exists for that platform).

By default, if this file does not exist, the target config screen will appear having been seeded from the file defconfig.

With 'selectype' this seed file, and/or the main.lkc file and/or the package profile can be changed.

This is the most common type of configuration people use.

Note: to get back to the start with LTIB, you can run:
./ltib -m distclean this will removed everything (except rpm/BUILD/xxx if it exists). You would then be back to platform selection if you ran ltib.

Regards, Stuart

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hello

When configuring the Freescale BSP for the first time (after hostcf), it will present three configuration menus in turn:
    * Platform selection
    * Profile selection
    * Configuration

(The Savannah version showed only two for the platform I tried.)

I seem to be able to get back to the two latter configurations with "-m selectype" and "-m config", but not the platform selection menu. Why? Or maybe more importantly, what is the first configuration stage compared to the two last?

Nor am I able to get back to the platform selection with "-m selectype" or "-m config" with the Savannah version -- both show the same window.

Am I missing something? A command option?

Thanks,
Svein