Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 01:18:06 +0200

Stuart Hughes wrote:
The reason is that if a new user who knows nothing about LTIB tries to install and fails, by default I can say "send me host_config.log" and I know they'll have it, I don't have to explain about tee. Most of the support issue come from installations on distributions I have never tried (many have quirks).

Yes. I also think the host_config.log is important for support reasons -- it has to be enabled per default.

I guess it would be possible to add a --logfile option for normal builds, but given tee is simple to use it hasn't been a high priority.

tee does't work very well when doing menuconfig's. You get a lot of escape codes in the log, don't you? So doing a configure and build process in one (like you do with running ./ltib without any options) will garble the tee log. That's why it would have been nice to have a target_config.log or similar.

The best workflow would then be to do a 0) "ltib --hostcf" (and get host_config.log) 1) "ltib -m config" 2) "ltib |tee xxx", right?. That's doable of course.

- Svein