Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:42:02 +0100

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hi Stuart,

Stuart Hughes wrote:
I think Tom's suggestion is good.

Yes, I do too.

The primary reason for the host_config.log being as it is is so that
I can get a clean capture of new installation failures.  This is the
most common failure as new distributions come out and so is more for
my sanity as I can ask people to send it to me.

Which is a nice thing. But wouldn't it be great to have a similar features for non-hostcf builds? If I'm not mistaking, there is no functionality to log to file (except for using > or tee), right? Why one without the other?

The reason is that if a new user who knows nothing about LTIB tries to install and fails, by default I can say "send me host_config.log" and I know they'll have it, I don't have to explain about tee. Most of the support issue come from installations on distributions I have never tried (many have quirks).

I guess it would be possible to add a --logfile option for normal builds, but given tee is simple to use it hasn't been a high priority.

And while I'm at it: It would also be nice to be able to disable host_config.log and dump to stdout/stderr instead. At least I miss it.

I saw you found the -N option.

Regards, Stuart