Re: [Ltib] modeps permission error

From: Daniel.Li
Subject: Re: [Ltib] modeps permission error
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:53:48 +0800

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 22:54 +0200, Svein Seldal wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As a curiosity, I downloaded the BSP and tried to compile it myself. I'm
> also running Ubuntu 9.04 you see. I wanted to verify if it is the
> distro's fault.
>
> I ran:
>       ./ltib --no-sudo --hostcf
>       ./ltib --no-sudo
>
> (I use --no-sudo because I don't want to configure sudoers and rather
> want be asked for password. Just ignore it for the sake of this discussion.)
>
> I ran into the same problems you (Daniel) were asking about:
>
>      1) I had to patch the mtd-utils-20060302 as previous mail from Stuart.
>
>      2) Compilation fails during deployment operations (because the
> script isn't called as root). See below.
>
> However, I did not get any failures due to ncurses or anything.

> I suspect that ncurses configure script detects that you have installed
> some ada package on your ubuntu, and tries to compile support for it.
> You could try to edit dist/lfs-5.1/ncurses/ncurses.spec and add
> "--without-ada" to line 30.

It works :)

Well I think you are right. It might be ubuntu environment related. So I
think there are two case here.
a) add a new patch for Ada95 issue
b) add "--without-ada" option

I'm curious at Ada95 and find this for Ada95
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/ncurses/Ada95.html . It seems like a
programming language (has ada compiler ....)

Anyway, I think I'll not use it. Skip this is OK for me :)

After solving List -> IPsec suite (strongswan) -> Select "Don't install
an IPsec suite". all is fine :)

Thank you all :) Happy now.

Processing deployment operations
==================================
making filesystem image file
staging directory is /home/daniel/ltib-mpc837xerdb-20081113/rootfs.tmp
removing the boot directory and files
removing man files and directories
removing info files
removing /usr/src directory
removing /usr/include directory
removing /usr/share/locale directory
removing static libraries
removing target rpm database
stripping binaries and libraries
WARN: /home/daniel/ltib-mpc837xerdb-20081113/rootfs.tmp/sbin/insmod.static
statically linked

Filesystem stats, including padding:

    Total size            = 17116k
    Total number of files = 2935

Your ramdisk exceeds the old default size of 4096k, you may need to
set the command line argument for ramdisk_size in your bootloader
allowing 10% free this gives 18827k .  For instance, for u-boot:

setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=18827

creating an ext2 compressed filesystem image: rootfs.ext2.gz
genext2fs: Running in LTIB backwards compatibility mode: -i -> -N
creating a uboot ramdisk image: rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot
Image Name:   uboot ext2 ramdisk rootfs
Created:      Sat Jul 11 07:45:59 2009
Image Type:   PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    3430150 Bytes = 3349.76 kB = 3.27 MB
Load Address: 0x00000000
Entry Point:  0x00000000

Started: Sat Jul 11 07:45:09 2009
Ended:   Sat Jul 11 07:46:02 2009
Elapsed: 53 seconds

Build Succeeded

> Stuart Hughes wrote:
> > The deployment section does not run as root (making RAMdisks or JFFS2).
> >  There's a bug in that BSP, you'll need to ask Freescale for support.
>
> I think maybe this is a generic ltib bug:
>
> The reason the deployment section is crashing is because it's trying to
> access files in rootfs/ which have been installed with 700 root:root
> permissions, like /etc/ipsec.d. When the deployment tools are not run as
> root, it cannot access these files and thus the build fails.
>
> The offending package in this case is caused by openswan (which is the
> same version and spec-file on this particular BSP as the CVS HEAD). It
> installs some files, like those in /etc/ipsec.d/* with 700 permissions
> (which it should). However as long as the deployment section is not run
> as root, the files are not and should not be accessible by ordinary users.
>
> If I compile any arbitrary platform image, enable openswan and build for
> ext2.gz target image, this failure occurs. The only difference is that
> the BSP version crashes, while the CVS HEAD version only masks the
> failure. Looking at the contents of ext2.gz image, the /etc/ipsec.d/
> directory is actually missing in all cases, which is a bug isn't it?
>
> The reason the CVS version is not crashing fatally is because of the
> extra "-perm 444" entry in bin/Ltibutils.pm:708. This makes find skip
> /etc/ipsec.d and thus don't crash. Yet, the dir is missing in the final
> image.
>
> As long as there are any files with root private (e.g. 700 or 600)
> permissions inside rootfs/ you AFAICS must be root to create a ext2.gz
> image. Even though I really hate this, I think we need root here...
>
> An alternate way of solving this is to change the install script for the
> openswan.spec file and make sure no file is installed 700. However IMHO
> this is not a elegant way of doing it.
>
> @Daniel: If you disable openswan, the BSP will compile. You can do so by
> issuing "./ltib --configure". When the menu is presented go to Package
> List -> IPsec suite (strongswan) ->  Select "Don't install an IPsec suite".
>

> I hope it helps!

Thanks you, Svein :)

--