Re: [Ltib] Guide/Best Practices for developing and building new package

From: B.J. Buchalter
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Guide/Best Practices for developing and building new package for LTIB
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:20:07 -0400

On Jul 20, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Stuart Hughes wrote:

Hi B.J.

A lot depends on the type of package(s) you're trying to build. If they're stand-alone (don't have many dependencies) then provided you have cross compiler you can use any number of approaches from command line (make CC=${CROSS}cc} to using IDEs etc.

If on the other hand your package has dependencies then using something like LTIB as an environment would greatly simplify things. If you want to be in LTIB's normal build environment you can used: "./ltib -m shell" this sets up spoofing etc.

Well, as I said, this is a package that I will be building up from scratch. At the very least it will depend on libc and libraw1394.

Now, obviously, I can copy in the headers and the libraries to link to, but that doesn't seem ideal. I am not clear on how to set up cross- package dependencies and relationships, and make it so that package I am working on will get access to the libraries and headers from the libraw1394 package. Does the package that relies on the headers and libraries find them in the ltib rootfs, or is there additional linkages that are required.

Are the autotools recommended for building the packages, or is there some other approach that makes sense?

Ideally it would be nice to have a native MAC OS/X port, but currently I don't have time/resources to do that.

Yeah -- I figured. I might take a stab at that at some point in the future. Probably the biggest thing is that the cross-compilation packages will need to be built from source as linux binaries will not run directly on Mac OS X. I think the rest of the packages are probably available.

So if you need access to firewire you are probably best installing on another Linux PC as you say.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo