Re: [Ltib] Qtopia versioning problem

From: Svein Seldal
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Qtopia versioning problem
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:38:39 +0200

Stuart Hughes wrote:
Hi Svein,

There was a bug in the way qtopia was packaged. I have committed the attached patch to Savannah CVS, please give it a try and let me know if any problems.

Thanks a lot. I'll test it tomorrow.

An idea for consideration: What if the config/userspace/pkg_map could contain versioning dependencies? Something like:

PKG_QTOPIA = qtopia <= 2.0
PKG_QTOPIA_4 = qtopia >= 4.0

Because IMHO, the package coming from qtopia 2 and qtopia 4 should in principle be named "qtopia". They are just two different versions of the same software. This way both spec files for both version 2 and for version 4 can coexist, and ltib would be able to pick out the right one from the version field in the spec-files.

How is this solved on other packages that exists in multiple versions? (like openssl, openswan, busybox, etc.)

You should now be able to say: ./ltib -p qtopia-4 for qtopia-4
or ./ltib -p qtopia for qtopia 2

I don't really like the way this has been packaged as it implies that you could have both on a system, whereas you can't really as it doesn't make sense and also the config selection is in a choice-list. However for now I've left it in this way as the packages have quite a lot of logic in packages.lkc based on PKG_QTOPIA_4.

Yes. I guess you can select one or the other, but you cannot have both at the same time. They are and should be mutually exclusive.

The iMX BSP from Freescale (which they have not merged out yet), there are two selectable profiles; one for qtopia 2 and one for qtopia 4, so I guess both are in active use.

I would be tempted to remove qtopia-2 except that qtopia-4 is so very large compared with 2, and the imx platforms by default actually select qtopia-2. I must admit though I've never used either.

FYI: when you say: ./ltib -p <pkg> it looks inside all the spec file names to find a match in the "Name:" field. This is a convenience for single package mode. If you want to exactly select a package you need to say ./ltib -p <spefiliename> (e.g. include .spec). When you just run ./ltib the mapping is done using the appropriate selection and pkg_map files.

Regards, Stuart