Re: [Ltib] linux console is not coming up

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] linux console is not coming up
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:52:55 +0100

Hi Utkash,

On 27/09/13 10:59, utkarsh rawat wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have eval board MPC8641 where my linux kernel is coming up properly .I
> want to disable the login  & password (login: root & password :root) i.e
> looking for autologin
> For that I went to Target System Configuration -->option->bootup with
> tty & login option I disabled
>
> After that my console itself is not coming . After some study I came to

This should have worked.  What is does is to set the following in
/etc/inittab

# see busybox-1.00rc2/examples/inittab for more examples
::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rcS
::respawn:-/bin/sh
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/etc/rc.d/rcS stop
::restart:/sbin/init

The important thing is the line: ::respawn:-/bin/sh
so provided you have /bin/sh on your system, the startup should end up
at the shell prompt rather than the login prompt.

> know its better not to disabled the root login & password . So I want to
> try as user login where i can look for autologin .
> I ltib also I have seen there is not auto login option .
> Kindly reply
> Thank you

Do you mean log in as a different user? if so there is another user in
the default LTIB build: username: user, password: password (IIRC).

There is no mechanism in LTIB to log you in automatically, you'd have to
devise something (normally on the client end with something like Expect).