[Ltib] adduser through startup script

From: Rick Hunnicutt
Subject: [Ltib] adduser through startup script
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:13:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello all:

I want to add a user that is available on the target system. I understand this has to be done through a startup script but I'm not able to get it to work. I best option I have found is:

    printf "password123\npassword123\n" | adduser myuser

The user gets added (in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow) but the password is not accepted. The out is:

Changing password for myuser
New password:
Retype password:
passwd: password for myuser is unchanged

I have read that adduser may use /dev/tty instead of stdin? I'd appreciate any help in getting this to work.

Thanks,

Rick H