lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #20287] tcp_output_nagle sends too early

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #20287] tcp_output_nagle sends too early
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:50:45 +0000

>From your description I think you've slightly misunderstood the nagle
algorithm (or made a typo in your description!)  I've not looked at the patch
to see which it is, but as I understand nagle can be summarised as:

if MIN(available_window_space, data_available_to_send) >= MSS {
  send_MSS_segment_now();
}
else {
  if(unacked_queue_is_empty()) {
    send_as_large_a_packet_as_possible_now();
  }
  else {
    leave_data_available_to_send_on_unsent_queue();
  }
}

I don't think the ordering of the two "if" statements is important, as long
as the second "else" only happens if both are false.

The difference to your description ("the nagle algorithm should only send
unsent data (if unacked is empty) when there is a full segment to send") is
that nagle should *always* send unsent data if the unacked queue is empty.

I don't doubt that the current version doesn't quite fit with that
description, but want to make sure that any replacement does.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20287>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/