lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6994] Redesign Socket Layer with LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOC

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6994] Redesign Socket Layer with LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:30:22 +0000

I don't think it's right to cast a pointer as the returned socket handle
(int). This is not the sockets API and will break code that uses it. If this
API is to be used for easy porting of code, then you can't just change bits
you don't like.

If this is the type of approach you want to take, then I don't think you
should provide select() at all. Instead provide poll(). What's the point of
providing an API which is sort of POSIX-like and sort of Windows-like? That
does no-one any good. It's not like you can dispense with the struct
lwip_socket array so the savings are minimal.

As for "I think by now, I favour the windows way, because select is 'rarely'
used", I disagree strongly. People use it a lot.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6994>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/