lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:22:55 +0000

>It looks like you've addressed just about everything in the todo list
required for the raw API except for secondary server support and compressed
answer support, neither of which appear to be trivial, and maybe should be
separate tasks?

the "todo list" is :

/** @todo: define good default values (rfc compliance) */
/** @todo: secondary server support */
/** @todo: compressed answer support */
/** @todo: improve answer parsing, more checkings... */

the two first ones are thing to do "now", the two others can be done later,
to my point of view.

>So... we still have the outstanding questions... does this module get
integrated into the stack at some point, or is it to be considered an app? And
do we want to release it with 1.3.0 if we do integrate it into the core?

My point of view is that something which doesn't need to change the "core"
should be external (in "contrib"), but I can understand that DNS should be
provided as a real part of the stack. More, there is a little change to do in
tcpip.c to add the DNS timer. I had a LWIP_DNS option to enable to integrate
or not the code. So, it could be used in 1.3.0 in some minutes, without
breaking anything.

About the DNS server settings, I thought to have a function to initialize
them (primary and secondary), and to use some macros like DNS_PRIMARY_SERVER
and DNS_SECONDARY_SERVER (to do a static - and default - initialization). A
collaboration with dhcp module could be useful...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7017>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/